POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Povray, the renderer, not a modeler. : Povray, the renderer, not a modeler. Server Time
31 Jul 2024 00:24:47 EDT (-0400)
  Povray, the renderer, not a modeler.
From: gregjohn
Date: 11 Feb 2008 13:10:00
Message: <web.47b08e79b78b94b040d56c170@news.povray.org>
Mesh2 character animation imaged in povray:
http://pterandon.blogspot.com/2007/10/gmesh-49-animation.html

Blob character animation imaged in povray:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=9AT_7nAr99A

David Buck's pencil imaged in povray:
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3C47ae71f3%40news.povray.org%3E/

David Buck's car imaged in povray:
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3C47ae6a7a%40news.povray.org%3E/

Norbert Kern's trees imaged in povray:
http://hof.povray.org/Boreal_big.html

Q: What created the mathematical constructs that were imaged in povray in each
of these cases?
Q: What do you call creation of mathematical constructs that can then be imaged
in a raytracer?

In the FLOSS podcast, the guys were intrigued about how in the image, "Boreal,"
povray algorithms were used to position all the leaves on the trees. In an
recording addressed to programmers, these programmers were intrigued that
povray could create mathematical constructs that could then be imaged in a
raytracer.

Should you use povray for modeling? Some say no, it's as obtuse as using an axe
to open a can.  There are some scenarios where povray's modeler could be
interesting, if not more efficient, than in a GUI system. For one, you don't
need a good graphics card: blender, on the other hand, won't work with some
live Linux distros because the distro doesn't come with graphics drivers.   For
another, you don't need gobs and gobs of memory:  I opened an "Elephant's Dream"
scene in blender on a 2.0 Gb memory Linux PC and the system slowed to a halt.
You don't need lots of HDD space: I've done more complex objects with a little
SDL modeling with 2-5 kB of SDL that would take MB's of meshes: this can add up
over time. (I've yet to fill up a CD-ROM with a career's worth of SDL modeling).

To say, "Povray is a renderer, not a modeler," inherently limits the imagination
of the users and the number of new users who will want to come to it.  I know
that when I thought it was merely for ekeing out some more exhaustive
photorealism from models created in $$-ware, I wasn't interested.   The
oft-repeated statement is also flatly untrue.